Thursday, November 8, 2001

"The Thing That Was Bad"

Everything's back on track again. The lovely phone people hooked the phone back up, and my computer decided to function normally again, so I can re-join the 21st century.

Otherwise, situation normal -- or as normal as one can ask for given the shenanigans and goings-on. Roommate Christine and I are tired of the euphemisms for September 11 ("the events," "the tragedy," "the bombing," when it wasn't really a bombing to begin with). We prefer to call it The Thing That Was Bad, and leave it at that.

Of course, we're both not sure that we've fully dealt with it yet. Our semi-flippant attitude may be an indication of some greater distress, which will probably rear its ugly head a few months from now in the form of a meltdown in the produce section of a British supermarket, causing much embarrassment to ourselves and many peas to be thrown about. Maybe all we need is to distance ourselves from it.

I have not yet been to Ground Zero (two miles south), and I'm not entirely sure whether it will help or hurt. It's not like I need to go see "proof" to assure myself of the reality of the situation. I saw (and smelled, and inhaled, and choked on) enough for that. But I do need to cross 3rd Street sometime before I leave. Bobby's coming up Thanksgiving weekend, so we'll try then.

On the upside of things, it looks like the country's returning to "normalcy" (a wonderful buzzword, might I add). Rather than jeopardize their "Survivor" and "Friends" ratings, CBS and NBC did not air Bush's comments to the CDC. Bless them for reminding us of what's really important. Or something.

Robyn