Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Halftime 2012: I Call Do-Over

Oh. Hai.

I'm a big believer in do-overs. Something not quite going the way you planned? Screw it. Stop it. Rewind it. Do it again. Once more with feeling. That's why if you take any five-year period of my life, Point A wouldn't recognize Point B if it punched her in the face. And I like it that way.

I'm also a big believer in the mid-year resolution. So here we are in July 2012. How've you been since New Year's?

For my part, 2012, we could be doing a lot better. You're not my worst year. Not by a longshot. And you've meant well. But MAN have you been quick on the drama button. To be fair, some of that was my fault and completely unnecessary. But some of it has been a genuine bummer on a grand scale.

Like those months I spent driving myself to distraction over a ridiculous series of junior-high level misunderstandings, only to one day suddenly and brutally learn that a friend...a friend who I really should have called a bit more, or sent that email to, or Facebooked once in a while for crissakes...was lost and gone forever thanks to a motherfucker called cancer. Awful, unjust things happening to wonderful people and changes that take others out of your life just as you were getting comfortable letting them into your little circle of trust. Things that make you angry that sometimes stories don't turn out the way you think they should, because the world can be mean and unfair and there's not a whole lot you can do about it except bitch and moan on the Internet.

But it's also those times that make me stop and realize that while there may be a fair amount of bad juju out there, there are also a lot of truly extraordinary people in my life. Jennie Lewis, who we lost last month, was one of them. While I'm angry and sad about how her story ended, I'm also thankful that I had a chance to know her. When something really sad and unfair like this happens, it's good to remember that there are a lot more good guys than bad guys. I can still feel grateful for the folks I have around that make all of the other crap that much more bearable.

So, 2012. We're stuck with each other for another six months. I call do-over. Let's make the most of it.

Happy new year, everyone.


WEIRD POP CULTURE TOUCHSTONE YOU GUYS!