Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Songs from teh Trash Room

I've been meaning to post about this for a while, but the combination of more pressing events and sheer laziness have prevented me from doing so. A few months ago, a friend of mine introduced me to a site called muxtape.com. It's a site that lets you upload playlists, so your friends can stream the mp3s on their computer, and then download them if they like them, or ask for a mix for themselves. It's a good way to share mixtapes.

Back in May, I uploaded one of my favorite mixes, and then the site promptly crashed. It came back shortly thereafter, but I felt somehow responsible, and I've been a little wary of spreading the word, lest I love muxtape to death again. But it seems to have been okay for a while now, so I think it should be okay.

A little backstory on this particular playlist: I lived in London in the beginning of 2002 in a horrible flat in a fantastic neighborhood (if you're curious, most of the wacky misadventures of my roommate Christine and I can be found in an earlier incarnation of this little blog). The flat was one little room with one bare bulb in the ceiling for light, bunk beds, and pipes that made a tremendous amount of noise whenever our neighbors flushed. Our front door was literally in the trash room, so we often had to hurdle over giant bags of garbage to get out. But it was just off Oxford Street, near Tottenham Court Road, so we kept our mouths shut. We had no computer or TV, just a little radio that played Virgin Radio nonstop, where I got a crash course in the finer points of Britpop. When I got home, I made this mix, and it still makes me smile to listen to it. Hope you enjoy, and please let me know if you decide to go and make your own!

And if muxtape.com goes down again, you can blame me. Everything I touch, I destroy.

Robyn